Thread: How to Compress images for Upload

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 713 Posts

How to Compress images for Upload

Please click on the picture which is say 3 to 4 MB in size and kindly follow this procedure below;

1. Open the picture. I am hoping that you are using Windows software and if yes then it will open in Windows Photo Gallery.

2. Once the picture is open you will find on the top left hand side of the picture Edit, organize or share and you will also see the File Email Print Slideshow buttons

3. Select the File (Dropdown Menu) Arrow and you will find various options such as

Open With,
    Delete
    Make a copy
    Copy
    Properties
    Exit

Name:  2. Mission Impossible - Copy - Copy.JPG
Views: 0
Size:  205.5 KB

4. Please select Open With Option which again gives you few options to select from as follows

Paint
    Windows Live Movie Maker
    Microsoft Office 2010
    Adobe Reader
    Windows Media Center

5. Please select Microsoft Office 2010

Name:  2. Mission Impossible - Copy.JPG
Size:  259.6 KB

6. Now the photo is opened with Microsoft Office 2010 and you will again find tool bar with various options

Just select Edit Pictures option and this will give you few options on the right hand side of the picture

Name:  2. Mission Impossible - Copy - Copy.JPG
Size:  73.8 KB

7. Select Compress Picture Option which comes under Change Picture Size. (There are 2 options here Resize & Compress Picture and you are selecting Compress Picture) option & click on it.

Name:  2. Mission Impossible - Copy - Copy - Copy.JPG
Size:  53.5 KB

8. Here you have options as follows

Compress for (with button option) - Here select Documents and then press OK
    *Don't Compress
    *Documents
    *Web pages
    *Email messages

Here you select Documents and then press OK and then remember to save the changes you made by pressing on Save Button as shown below.

Name:  2. Mission Impossible - Copy (2).JPG
Size:  330.1 KB

Size:  330.5 KB

9. The minute you select the button option Documents you will find that it gives you the details Estimated Total Size
    Original: 2.75 MB or whatever was the original size of your picture &
    Compressed: 478 KB

Now you see that the 2 or 3 MB original size photo is compressed to few KB size.

10. Next Click OK button under the Compressed and don't forget to press the save option on the top right side of the photo (i.e the old floppy symbol)

Once you have done this your original photo of 3 to 4 MB will get reduced to few KB.

Now this is how you do it for 1 photo. I hope you are now clear.

When you have a group of many photos under 1 folder in your home computer or laptop then it becomes very difficult to do it one picture at a time for each & every photo.

Here we have a better option of doing the same for multiple photos and doing the same reducing size from MB to kb in 1 shot.

After selecting the photo under Microsoft Office 2010 you will find Shortcuts and under this you will find Thumbnail view and select that.

Size:  213.7 KB

You will find that all the pictures in your folder will be opened before you.

Size:  322.4 KB

You can go to EDIT and do a Select All. This means all the photos of 3 or 4 MB size each are selected.

Size:  361.9 KB

Next you again do the same procedure EDIT PICTURE - COMPRESS PICTURE - SELECT DOCUMENT BUTTON - PRESS OK and please remember to click SAVE button to complete the changesall the individual large pictures in the folder of your computer which you want to upload to this forum will be resized to few KB and do not forget to press the SAVE Button option.

What you did for 1 individual photo you now are applying the same for a group of photos under 1 folder and the same rule applies.

I hope this helps. I have done my level best to explain in full details and hence the lengthy reply.
    Last edited by cvanandh; 08-26-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Copied into new thread
    Love My Passion MYFIATWORLD - Warm Regards, MN - Mahesh Natarajan

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MN For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: How to Compress images for Upload

Hi MN & All,
    I am not sure if you have used this easier method to resize pictures earlier.

Just go to the below link and install the tool in your PC/Laptop.
    http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Once its done,Go to the picture,Right click on it, Select Resize picture,choose size (preferably Large 1920X1080) and then click on resize. Your 4MB picture will be resized to 400-500kb. It hardly takes a second to do this.
    Choose lesser resolution depending on where you want to upload,There is also a custom option to pick a picture size.

You can do the same for multiple pictures in a folder by selecting the pictures and then click on Resize button.

This is the easiest method i could find in the internet.I am using it for more than 5 years and i am more than happy with it.
    Hope this helps and saves time!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 713 Posts

Dear Peter,

Thanks a lot. I hope many will benefit from your suggestion.

I unfortunately cant download any external software in my laptop (company asset) the organization doesn't permit down loading any external software without the involvement of ISD Team.
    Love My Passion MYFIATWORLD - Warm Regards, MN - Mahesh Natarajan

Thanks

I use MS picture manager

1. Open a file with MS Picture mamnager
    2. Use thumbnail view option to select pictures
    3. choose picture option and select resize
    4. Resize the image to required size.

There are other options like compress etc
    Found very useful.
    GP 1.4E (2010 October)
    Travelogues: Panhala /Malvan / Mahabaleswar My ownership thread