Warning: Illegal string offset 'name' in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 6845
An accident which could have been avoided?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An accident which could have been avoided?

Thanks

Unhappy An accident which could have been avoided?

An accident happened due to double cranking prevention system. The owner of the car doesn't know the safety feature. When the car stalled in the middle of the railway track. He got confused and car did not started when he turned the ignition key. Got hit by the train and died.

Some weeks back me and my friend found a child locking feature present in palio 1.2 that we don't know before. Read your user manual and be informed about all the features of your car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3363983
    Last edited by cvanandh; 02-11-2014 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Edited thread title
    --------------------------------
    Thanks and kind regards,
    Jerald
    Yamaha sz-r
    Fiat Palio 1.2 EL PS 2002

Rengarajan

Re: Accident due to double cranking prevention system

Sorry to disagree. The accident did not happen because of the feature. It happened due to the lack of awareness of the owner. It is imperative that one should read the manual cover to cover at least once, when buying a new car, but most people seem to just imagine that they will know everything and just start driving. Most times, they get away with just not using some nice features in the car, but sometimes such things happen and serve as a rude reminder.

I have noticed that most trivial questions asked by new car owners on multiple forums on the internet are already answered in the manual. To make matters worse, people are members in multiple forums and post the same query everywhere, get varied answers and get even more confused.

I can never understand why people have this aversion to reading the owners' manual.

The thread title is misleading. It should read "Accident due to Owner not reading the manual"
    Last edited by Rengarajan; 02-11-2014 at 04:39 PM.

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rengarajan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,093 Times in 497 Posts

Re: Accident due to Owner not reading the manual - double cranking prevention system

Really sad to know the cause of this incident

But I agree that we should read the manual and come to terms with the various features. Many including me do not have that habit! The child lock on rear door and double crank prevention is a common feature in FIAT's since the Uno days.
    Anandh

1960 FIAT Select | 1962 FIAT Super Select | 1964 Ambassador | 2003 FIAT Palio S10 |2011 FIAT Linea 1.3 E+ | 2015 FIAT Linea Dynamic

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cvanandh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 721 Posts

Re: Accident due to Owner not reading the manual - double cranking prevention system

First of all when a unmanned level crossing we should be doing double check before crossing.

He could have seen the train and still tried crossing the line instead if he could have waited the story will.be different.

Reading owners manual is very good habit and i am also not doing it partially. I am having owners manual in my car and I haven't read it fully

Sent from my Micromax A116 using Tapatalk
    Dhans
    Fiat Punto 1.3 Emotion BNW 'Absolute' -2012
    Fiat Palio S10 - The Rare Legend -2002
    -------------------------------------------------
    Fiat Palio 1.2 ELX Silver Frost -2002 (sold)
    Fiat Palio 1.2 ELPS Silver Frost-2001 (sold to a friend)
    Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTS-i -2005 (Sold to a friend)

Respected Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhans4all View Post
    First of all when a unmanned level crossing we should be doing double check before crossing.

He could have seen the train and still tried crossing the line instead if he could have waited the story will.be different.

Reading owners manual is very good habit and i am also not doing it partially. I am having owners manual in my car and I haven't read it fully

Agreed.
    The first check is what we all are taught as basic rule before crossing a railway crossing, be it on any vehicle, to check both sides properly and then cross railway track. It was very unfateful combination of ignoring the basics of crossing with lack of knowledge.

And yes we do tend to ignore reading manuals considering it as waste of time, and we end up spending many fold times in knowing same things while driving. However this is the case when we own a car, everytime or case dont have a Manual ready all the time.
    We all consider learning driving as a one time activity, and just pop in any car and hit main road without knowing the difference in that car. Specially when we have to use someone else's car, we simply can't go through a manual.
    For Ex. whenever anyone ride my adventure, the reverse gear lock mechanism have landed a lot many people strugglign in midst . I am talkign about people in some washing area or some garage (latest was at a alignment station). As a precaution I update them while handling car that reverse gear has a lock. Funny thing is they say they know it and very next moment I see them struggling with it.
    Same goes for the directions of Indictors and Wiper controls, people do end up using the side whichever they are most used of and activate wiper instead of indicators or vice versa.
    Few cars require there clutch to be pressed to start the engine.
    I have found these activites mostly while taking a test drive, or when we have to drive someone else's car in some emergency or hurry.
    Point is while entering a different/undriven make of car we should be aware of these basic features, irrrespective of whatever experience we have in driving. There maybe several other such features which we keep on ignoring

Regards
    Harish
    Last edited by harishadvent; 02-11-2014 at 09:19 PM.
    2007: Adventure 1.6 Sports

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harishadvent For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The reverse gear lock mechanism is main culprit with many when I had palio.

Once friend of mine just broke the gear lever bracket hence the reverse gear wasnt engaged. Had a tough time telling people about this. He just took the car when i wasnt home and done the damage.

Dhans

Respected Member
    Thanks

It's really an unfortunate incident . But wondering how it has been concluded that the double cranking prevention was the cause when the owner is not alive or it's just a speculation .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Sad. The reality is 90% of the users will not read manual end to end. And fewer will remember what they read unless put into practice. At best people will refer a manual when they need to clarify a point, etc. This can be expected. I have no second thoughts that in an ideal world, owners should indeed read and know manual content thoroughly. But that rarely ever happens.
    How many of us have pulled a door which has PUSH written in BIG caps? If the door affords a PULL, we'll pull no matter what is written, It's something similar to that. The door designer cannot say, 'can't you read?'. It is his responsibility to remove the affordance which facilitates easier PULL when PUSH is desired.

A Car's feature needs to be designed keeping user behavior in mind. Users are part ignorant, forgetful, have mood swings, can panic, etc. this is a separate field of study in itself.

With all due respect to FIAT's great design capabilities, and safety features, I wish FIAT had some feedback mechanism to communicate about this double cranking prevention system.

The wiper/ indicator stalk swap is another baffling thing to folks new to FIAT. I am curious to know what is achieved by not conforming to prevailing convention in this wiper/indicator stalk position swap.
    Last edited by dhans4all; 02-12-2014 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Post repeated

Thanks

One should read the manual..it will tell u lovely things which otherwise sales consultant wont be able to explain.

It is absolutely not the double crank prevention system that did not let the car start. Double crank prevention system only and only comes into play when the engine is running. It is just there to prevent damage to the self by not allowing the key move further clockwise when the engine is running.

I dont know if palio came with a rolling code feature in the ignition system.

But it is the key and ignition system with rolling codes that prevents a car to be started when the ignition is turned off or the car get stalled.

The rolling code might be a annoying feature when the car get stalled but trust me friends not many car manufacturers provide such a security feature.

Cutting-edge security systems have been incorporated to keep your car theft protected at all times. The antitheft engine immobilizer with a rolling code prevents the engine from starting if the correct key isn't used; this is ensured by changing the security code every time the key is used.
    So even if someone gets a duplicate key of your car. He will not be able to start it unless he has got the chip with him in the duplicate key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to arij For This Useful Post:

Thanks

One should read the manual irrespective of what product he bought, we are living in the world where we dont even read the employee manual / employment agreement before signing and later we say we didnt know such things exists.

In my experience even for a enquiry to Fiat showroom I was informed about the double crank prevention system as a feature and explained how one should handle. Those who stills struggle to differentiate push and pull are struggling till now including me, this doesnt mean that one should blame the manufacturer should come up with the door what we always except. there are many reason behind such doors.

Also we are not sure that the double crank prevention system was the reason for this mishap. there could be some other reasons but Not sure who or how this one came as a reason. Police Investigation report might comeback with some reasons till then we suppose not conclude anything.

regarding indicator stalks, all manufacturers who brought the European/US version cars here has the wiper stalk right side this is just to save cost. its just the whole steering assembly needs to be shifted to right side of the car if you bring such designs to Right hand driving countries. else they would end up spending too much money on redesigning the combination switches and might be some other parts connecting the combination switch to steering. manufacturing cost including tool, die and jigs extra. all these can add up to vehicle cost and with this competition no one would do it.
    Dhans

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dhans4all For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast