Warning: Illegal string offset 'name' in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 6845
An accident which could have been avoided? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An accident which could have been avoided?

Rengarajan

Re: Accident due to Owner not reading the manual - double cranking prevention system

That the car stalled and the double cranking prevention prevented the car from restarting is an assumption. There is no conclusive proof about what exactly happened. That said, we must take this as an eye-opener and ensure that we read about the car, as explained in the manual and understand the machine that we all love.

I have always read the user manual of any product that I buy, as a matter of habit. It is very rare that drive someone else's car. But when I do, I always ask about any exclusive features that I need to know. It is also equally rare that someone else drives my car. But if they do, I always make sure I tell them about the turn indicator stalk position and double crank prevention. I used to also tell about the reverse gear when I had the Palio.

These are small things that go a long way.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rengarajan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Accident due to Owner not reading the manual - double cranking prevention system

In this case, considering the 15days old car, I would blame sales person for all this.
    He should explain the bare minimum features which are different from others.

Owners especially the new generation are always in hurry. I am sure 70-80℅ people doesn't read the manual. That's where the amico program has been started by fiat, in which they will go to the customer place and run through the manual and features.
    It is very unfortunate that this happened before he could know the features.

As all said it is an eye opener to all new buyers.

May his soul rest in peace.

Sent from my Nexus 4

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mchanna For This Useful Post:

Thanks

As quoted by Rajan there is no concrete proof of what exactly happened. All we are making is an educated guess.

May the soul RIP.

Sent from my RM-914_eu_euro1_327 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to teky For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A bad accident, may his soul RIP. I think we are all jumping the gun a little bit when it comes to assuming the person didn't know about the double crank prevention system, we seem to be forgetting that when we panic we don't think straight always.

Just imagine you car stalls on the railway track and you see a train approaching you at speed, its your natural reflex to try to start the car the normal way and you might panic thinking your car is not starting even though you know about these features and by the time the realization hits you it might be too late. Its is bad accident and its very sad that someone had to lose their life.

Of course its a good habit to read the manual and yes some of us may have started the car and gotten out of there but I don't think we should be pointing fingers at anybody. If there is a way to better this feature then lets go ahead and think about it!

Just my 2 cents.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flywheel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I guess in hurry he might have driven the car in higher gears while crossing and might have reduced the speed while crossing and might have forgotten about the DCP feature.
    He shouldn't have crossed in first place. One cannot blame the safety feature because safety feature come with a responsibility. I have seen people have the habit of switching off the engine in a slop to save fuel(2Wheeler). What to say about those people?

I think we should populate all the important features in car in a thread. Here I had started a thread and let us slowly update it for the knowledge of our others.
    http://www.myfiatworld.in/showthread...unto-and-Linea

May their soul RIP.
    GP 1.4E (2010 October)
    Travelogues: Panhala /Malvan / Mahabaleswar My ownership thread

Respected Member
    Thanks

Really sad to know this. Sorry for this guy. RIP

Regards,
    Binil

Thanks

Dear all,

I agree that most of us are not reading manual. I have a suggestion in my mind that in association with FIAT to prepare a PRE DELIVERY INSTRUCTION video which will be shown before the delivery of the car. it will definitely improve the awareness and also easy to understand the features. This DVD can be given along with the delivery kit for their future references.

Regards,
    NAGOO
    Team Head(Sales)

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RDCF For This Useful Post:

Respected Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arij View Post
    It is absolutely not the double crank prevention system that did not let the car start. Double crank prevention system only and only comes into play when the engine is running. It is just there to prevent damage to the self by not allowing the key move further clockwise when the engine is running.
    Unless your car is super silent, you wont have to turn the key again when the engine is already running. when the car stalls midway, you have to turn the key back and turn again to start it. In the above case, i think the car stalled and the driver may have got panicked when he was unable to turn the key to start the car without bringing it to OFF position. may be he is new to FIAT, or a new driver.
    Last edited by thulasi; 02-12-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RDCF View Post
    Dear all,

I agree that most of us are not reading manual. I have a suggestion in my mind that in association with FIAT to prepare a PRE DELIVERY INSTRUCTION video which will be shown before the delivery of the car. it will definitely improve the awareness and also easy to understand the features. This DVD can be given along with the delivery kit for their future references.

Regards,
    NAGOO
    Team Head(Sales)
    That's actually quite a good idea, to add to this I think this video of all the safety features and quirks of the car can be shown to the new owner while he/she waits for all the paperwork/other formalities to be completed.

Thanks

Too little information is available on this accident. Like discussed and pointed out, we can only speculate and assume based on limited info available.

1) Did DPS cause the accident?
    2) 15 day old car. Was the driver new to driving and couldnt half clutch efficiently when wheel got slightly stuck.

What baffled me is in a subsequent post a member mentioned that driver wasnt wearing seatbelt and he died of head injury. The Punto, by the alloy wheels I presume was top end model with Air bags.

If at all the other member's info of not wearing seat belt was true, I wonder what if he wore seat belt?
    - Air bags would have been given a chance
    - Airbags may or may not have deflated
    - Seat belt may have certainly kept him on seat increasing the chances of survival many folds.

The 2 pictures are not enough and not clear enough. I still have a feeling the cabin was reasonably in tact.

In my personal capacity and with limited info available, I would say if he was wearing seat belts, he would have survived. Again, I don't think so Fiat or any other manufacturer would do anything in terms of safety for such crashes. The car is by itself in such scenarios.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karthik For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast