Thread: An accident that could have been nightmare with Maruti

Thanks

An accident that could have been nightmare with Maruti

I said Maruti because I had Astar previously.

I was travelling from Mumbai to Nasik in the early morning by my new Fiat Emotion 90HP, Owned since just 3 months. As it was winter time, I had decided to go slow till its dark and foggy. By the time I hit Kasara Ghat it was light up and no visible fogs, so I decided to try its limit on twist and turns. I was just amazed by the grip and handling, but did not pushed for the speed as it is new.

Then Just before the Goti Toll, the road was slightly bend toward left with slopping down and no one was far around. I was goin at around 110 kmph, I just looked at the panel to see the trip-avg for a sec and when I looked up, Just few feet ahead, there was 6/7" x 1.5-2 mtr long streight branch on my way, must have fallen from wood-transport, I had no chance turn or break, it just hit the vehicle on right side. By looking at situation, I thought it will go through underneath of the vehicle and every thing will get damage and may topple off the vehicle.

But after hitting the car, the wooden branch was rolled-sided by the strong bumper, I heard lot of rolling noise with the front wheel, I thought Tyre must be burst but did not felt anything on the steering.

So, I looked back if someone else do not get heart, but the wood rolled down to left. Then I took left and I stopped to inspect the damage.

Right lower side bumper was vanished with the Fog light, but rest of the bumper fitting did not move at all. Inter-cooler was leaking. Bottom guard plate was bend down ward due to the right side bracket got the hit. (Final Invoice was 32K out of which 26.5K paid by the Insurance)

I believer it was the strong bumper and the bracket with the plate, which had absorb the shock and saved rest of the damage. It was Saturday, I visited Futue car Nasik they said it is OK you may drive around here and give it to us on Monday. I draw around 60 km around Nasik after the accident on Saturday and Sunday with light acceleration.

I am pretty sure if it had been Astar then suspension and wheel must have damaged completely and it will stand immovable.

I will put up the pic of the vehicle very shortly.

Regards
    Kalpesh Shah

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to meetkalpesh For This Useful Post:

Respected Member
    Thanks

Re: An accident that could have been nightmare with Maruti

Hi Meetkalpesh,

Firstly good to know that no human damage occurred.
    Fiat cars are born tough like a tank. I have seen many cars after accident where due to small accident there was large damage to life and car but practically have come across 2 such accidents in which FIAT cars were involved. Looking at the cars anybody would guess that nobody might have survived, but thanks to Allah that none of them had any blood wound except for mild bruises. One of the car was a 2001 Palio. After the accident, the owner then invested huge amount of money and time to get the car on road just because he was sure that the tank is his Savior..

Anyways, have great and safe drives ahead and always wear seatbelts.....

There is an old saying in our rashtra bhasha: "Nazar hati to durghatna ghati"...!!!!
    Last edited by SHBZ; 03-22-2014 at 01:39 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SHBZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Dear Meetkalpesh
    Glad to know that there were no injuries. Fiat Punto is built like a tank and the other safety features were what prompted me to buy when it was launched in 2009. Happy to say that it still is going strong and good!! Enjoy your Fiat and good luck driving!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to faraz784 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would Like to quote an incident here

source : Tbhp

Posted : sunil rj

a father, Mother and son Travelling on NH48 in a newly delivered Fiat Linea came face to face with a granite filled TATA Tipper. the tipper crashed into the Linea and Toppled Over it.

Father, Mother and Son Both Got out of the Car Unscatched, but shaken and clicked these pics! now that is a good Advertisement for being 'Built Like a Tank' the father came back to the dealership and Booked another Linea and swears that it was only because of the Tank Like Build Quality he, His wife and his son survived. Linea was a Total Loss and disposed as scrap for below three quarters of a lakh!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  192.4 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Size:  228.5 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Size:  212.9 KB
    Name:  4.jpg
Size:  253.7 KB
    Name:  5.jpg
Size:  152.1 KB
    Name:  DSC00265.JPG
Size:  174.3 KB

Another one

Posted : TheHkrish

It happened on Diwali!

Me and my dear wife went for a Wayanad Trip, taking our 2 month old Punto. We were returning from Wayanad to Bangalore ( Manathavady -Kabini-Handpost route). Everything was good until 12 PM.

My wife was the driver; she took the steering seeing that I had been driving from 5.30 AM. Close to Handpost (50 KM from Mysore), while she was taking a left turn (~60 kmph), we suddenly saw an Alto and Bike overtaking well in the left line (where we were coming). Upon pure instincts, she maneuvered the car further to the left.

Luckily or unluckily for us, it was a grassy patch of road with a big tree on the left.

The next few seconds were quite animated. I felt that I had been inside a real video game. We heard a big screech and the next moment, both airbags deployed and we were almost on that tree.

The most surprising factor is that we didn't get any injuries at all, apart from bruises due to the seat belt tightening. The steering wheel collapsed.

Punto is indeed made like a tank, a good thing we named him tumblr.

I called Fiat Roadside Assistance, who suggested taking my car to Mysore (URS Kar) instead of Bangalore. The towing guy was asking for exorbitant rates like 6k for 50 KM. Seemed like a daylight robbery because the manager told me the rate should be Rs. 25 / KM ( Even if I calculate 70KM*2ways * 25Rs it would come to 3.5K) .

A lot of good Samaritans came up, including a Team-BHP follower from Kabini (Buddy I know you have the crash pic, which I don't). Helped me tie the car to a Bolero pickup and drag him to Mysore.

Guys, I might need some help in going for an insurance claim, as I had opted for a zero Dep insurance with Oriental. How much might be covered in the insurance here (Guesses are most welcome). What can be my next steps. I would be travelling tomorrow to Mysore (to work on the insurance and estimate).

N.B: Guys if anybody is saying we don't need airbags because we drive under the speed limit and we don't drive enthusiastically, that is absolute bollocks. I'm not mentioning about the significance of seatbelts here, one of the most discussed topics on T-BHP.

If I was in a car other than our Punto, I'm not sure....may be its my adrenalin speaking. We would have been travelling in an ambulance instead of a Taxi Cab to Bangalore!

Name:  1.jpg
Size:  153.5 KB
Size:  145.7 KB
Size:  115.9 KB

Other one

Posted : Rameshnanda

Recently (on 7th Aug 2012), one of my friend met with a major accident and fortunately he and his wife are safe. Since he is not a member in Team-BHP, I am sharing the incident with his permission.

He narrates the incident himself.

"This is what happened to my beloved exotic red 90 hp punto at a traffic signal on NH 45 in front of DB Hospital, Chrompet, Chennai. My car got sandwich-ed between 2 lorries.

I was waiting at a traffic signal behind a lorry at a safe distance. I engaged the hand break and I was talking to my wife. After few seconds I saw through the rear view mirror that a tipper lorry was approaching fast. I also saw it coming and hitting my rear right side with a great force. Everything happened in few seconds. The force of the impact was such that my car went to lower part of the lorry which was in front of me. The impact was such that the rear part of the lorry was resting on the bonnet of my car. Its rear four wheels was not touching the ground. Both the air bags got deployed. I believe that my wife got survived just because of the airbag in my car.

Due to this impact the whole engine got damaged. And the car body shell got shrinked on the right hand side.

After few minutes of this accident I called our reliable Ramesh and teky (a BHP'ian). Ramesh asked another friend pdranjith (another BHP'ian) to rush to the spot and teky asked his dad, who was at a near by place to help me out. They helped me to finish the formalities at the police station to get the FIR. Ranjith was with me all the day even though he was having a very busy schedule. Though teky was busy preparing for his foreign trip he found time to call me every hour to know the situation. Ramesh came to the RTO office to help us. I am not having enough words to thank my friends who helped me on that day.

We towed my car to RTO in a tow van, finished the formalities there and then took it back to my home. In the mean time teky called Mr. Tensigh from Tafe reach and asked him to come and evaluate the damage. Very next day he came with another person from body shop to my home.

I should say that this is one of the strongest vehicle that anyone can get. The cabin was intact . Passengers were safe with some muscle sprain for few days. If there was no air bags and if it was some other car my family would have reached some where else.

The sad part was that my car was not even 10 months old. It has hardly covered 11000 kms. And now for no mistake of mine I have to shed few lakhs from my pocket to buy another car, which will again be most probably a Fiat."

Some pictures of the car after the accident.

Name:  01.jpg
Size:  170.0 KB
Size:  166.2 KB
Size:  166.1 KB
    Name:  4.JPG
Size:  125.5 KB

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Murphy_Fiat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Man that's why we love Fiat built to last....a pure tank with Multijet technology enjoy bhai logo and yes do not forget to tightend ur seat belt before hitting the road...Ur safety comes first

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Puneet Mehra For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Glad to hear everyone is safe! Believe me I've seen an accident live between an Alto-highway Side pillar & no other vehicle in sight!!! The accident occured on the opposite side of the road. 1 female instant death due to the left side A Pillar went right thru her. The steering wheel was outside the driver window & he was critically injured, A girl was thrown out of the car with multiple injuries - probably the only survivor. We helped her 1st to get into a highway patrol car & to hospital. It was gruesome, just a contact with the side pillar made the entire car totalled!!! this was a year back...Feel sad for them even today!
    People assume I'm saving the planet Or riding for a cause... even if all you want to do is enjoy Cycling