Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awful Experience @ Fiat Exclusive Showroom: CAI Fiat, Coimbatore

Respected Member
    Thanks

Awful Experience @ Fiat Exclusive Showroom: CAI Fiat, Coimbatore

It was a saturday morning- 26th july 2014. I was in coimbatore with my brother. The mission of the day was to book a new car for my parents, close the deal by afternoon and depart to bangalore as i had office commitments on sunday.

Having myself owning a Linea, Ownership thread here- http://www.myfiatworld.in/showthread...Tale-of-Buying, my dads past acquintes being standard and premier padmini and with the rumors of evo comming out on August 3rd, the natural choice of inclination was on Punto, with the other favourable aspect to take advantage of the clearance sale. Budget in hand was 5.5 L, it had to be a diesel due to the extent of use, and already have glanced few recent bookings for punto 1.3 active ranging from 5.16L (Delhi), 5.3L (chennai), 5.9L (Bangalore). I was prepared for 5.5L to pay at coimbatore before visiting CAI fiat. My parents color preference was Black.

After visiting few other dealerships (More on that in the buying experience thread sooner), was in the showroom by 11:30 AM. To my surprise, there was no one in the showroom except the receptionist who came in from inside after hearing speak ourselves. Before she asked, we gave our interest on punto. There was a white Punto active displayed in the showroom and 2014 new Linea in black. She started explaining- "Sir, there are 3 models in punto - active, basic and emotion. Active is low end and emotion is top end............". She was a bit nervous and told that all sales persons are out and expecting them sooner.

As we were having a glance, got introduced to Madhan a sales executive who stepped into the show room with a backpack. We again repeated our preferences and told that i already own a Linea, on a tight budget and want to close the deal today. My bro wanted to try out a test drive, but there was not even one car in the showroom for that, atleast a Linea. They did not seem to bother about that. The explanation of features about the car to my bro by him was pathetic, to say the least. They were pushing on white active the most. i Silently laughed in inside and was self comparing the treatment got at bangalore during my earlier purchase. Few funny examples-

"Sir, Active is easy for Mod. Can be converted to Dynamic or Emotion by adding in few spares here and there." was wondering when FIAT started selling Airbags as Spares.

"Sir, Power windows may get failed. Rotary windows are good anyday"

After seeing the pricelist, the initial OTR was 6.76L and after mentioning about the car to exchange it was brought down to 5.7L (with a free accessory of mudflap, mat and reverse parking) as i stayed on black and it was not in their dealer stock. Though on higher side, i felt it was ok as the car needs to come from factory and i was strict on black to abide my parents choice.

While i was showing out the images of our current car, a maruthi zen with all mods and asking for a deal on the exchange price, some guy suddenly appeared from no where and joined the negotiation table. Worst is, he did not care to introduce himself and started negotiating badly like he can offer 50k max on it. The least i expected from them was an assurance that they would send in the evaluator tomorrow and an assurance that they would offer the best price. I took their estimate with a pinch of salt. He outrightly said that there is no black color on stock in the factory itself and they cannot get it to us. After pressing for black, he agreed but was told to pay the entire ex-showroom price which we agreed. Worst part is, while we were speaking, he interupted the talk with a mobile call to someone asking him to pick him from the showroom, did not bother to ask us to excuse us and he went off without exchanging pleasanteries. Later came to know that he is Vadivel, the team -lead. Am i expecting too much from sales team, dont know. But iam sure that i would have defnitely acted better in their shoes.

We decided to move on and sell it ourselves, but give a RTO registration copy to them to avail the exchange bonus or whatever they call in this 1L discount. Was able to sell the same maruthi in 30 minutes flat, after posting the adon OLX with the price i quoted, which forms a different story.

Handed over cheque of 50k the same day with one condition- the car should be either a June or a July manufactured and VIN# to be passed on to us before ing in the order. Gave in my brothers contact number in bangalore as i have tight office schedules to answer a call. Madan was very optimistic that the car would be damn new with July manufactured, or the worst the June. He would call us if it is any different and get our confirmation before going further. As their computer systems werent working, got in a hand written receipt and was promised a scanned copy of the receipt by the end of the day as it had to come from their different office. Had no time to wait and hurriedly left the showroom, with nothing good to write about the handling. Got the email with the e-receipt and was relieved that rest of events would unfold the way i thought.

Monday, my brother got a call twice confirming if we are sure of the black color, as it cannot be cancelled (we had no intentions) and when my parents visited the showroom on Tuesday was again asked by them the same multiple times. Irritant, to say the least. My father started getting doubts if black is labelled unauspicous or unlucky, though it was his must to have dream color on car.

Upon their constant pressure, cheque for the remaning amount was handed over. I got immersed in office work and was not following of the happenings. When i was speaking to my brother last week, he told that car has reached the dealer stockyard from the factory. I reminded him to get the VIN. Later when my brother contacted me with the VIN and upon decoding, i lost my cool as it was a Febrauary 2014 Manufactured one.

When called upon them, they told casually, "Sir, its good car. We assure you with proper dealer PDI. Nothing would have happened, dont worry.". When asked about the promise made, they didnt bother to answer it directly but made me further irritant - "Sir, here nobody asks for VIN or worrys but you are the one dealing differently". They did not bother to apologize nor feel sorry on their blunder but put blame on customer that they behave differently, how convienient !

When threatened with cancellation, we were pushed aback that it is a whopping 50000 deduction since the car is invoiced. Iam not sure about this and members to clarify. My brother wanted them to compensate in any manner for their ill management, be it a discount or a free accessory, but the discussion headed no where. He even expressed his intentions to speak to the manager but we could never meet or speak to Mr.Yuvaraj (i think) so far.

I have decided to stay away from recommending CAI FIAT to any one and feel sorry for FIAT for having such a kind of brand ambassadors they have chosen to appoint.

While i was typing this, my wife saw the laptop monitor from the back with the delivery pictures of LINEA and asked - "Well, it was Shirt last time, what have you planned to gift your salesman this time for PUNTO?" - "They dont even deserve an hanky", i murmored.

I have vented my anger also in teamfiat, facebook page of CAI & fiat-india, posted to mangesh & sales email of fiat. Lets see if it reaches the ears of the concerned.
    Last edited by sivakumar; 08-13-2014 at 11:46 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sivakumar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Awful Experience @ Fiat Exclusive Showroom: CAI Fiat, Coimbatore

That's a very bad experience. They just can't deduct 50,000 Rs just because car is invoiced. Please make sure not to sign any papers letting them fill any VIN on their own.

As you have already sent an email, I'm sure your case will get pushed forward and all issues solved.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naveen2cool For This Useful Post:

Respected Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naveen2cool View Post
    That's a very bad experience. They just can't deduct 50,000 Rs just because car is invoiced. Please make sure not to sign any papers letting them fill any VIN on their own.

As you have already sent an email, I'm sure your case will get pushed forward and all issues solved.
    Thanks Naveen. Yes, i understand. They took advantage of the ignorance of knowledge of my parents who are undergoing a new car buying experience for first time in their lives. All the cars my dad owned were bought second hand.

Thanks

I used tell my friends - "Only those who have decided to buy a Fiat, end up buying one. Most other people just run away looking at the way Fiat showrooms deal with them and the general lack of interest of the sales guys".

I was under the impression that things are changing for the better and this would soon be a thing of the past! But the reality looks quite different, they still want to cheat you and seem to miss some basic etiquette when dealing with a prospective customer. Having said this I have also visited some showrooms were the Sales guys were very good!

Hopefully the emails you have sent out will have the desired effect.

When you look at the tacho rather than the speedo you know your having fun!!!
    Linea T Jet | Punto MJD | Leh 2014

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Flywheel For This Useful Post:

Respected Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
    I used tell my friends - "Only those who have decided to buy a Fiat, end up buying one. Most other people just run away looking at the way Fiat showrooms deal with them and the general lack of interest of the sales guys".

I was under the impression that things are changing for the better and this would soon be a thing of the past! But the reality looks quite different, they still want to cheat you and seem to miss some basic etiquette when dealing with a prospective customer. Having said this I have also visited some showrooms were the Sales guys were very good!

Hopefully the emails you have sent out will have the desired effect.

Thanks Flywheel for your words. I too have bought from KHT Fiat Cafee bangalore few months back and the dealership experience was excellent. Feel pity on the people in non metro cities vouching on FIAT and getting their fingers burnt.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 721 Posts

Unfortunately when we booked a car from maruti, the nature of booking experience isnt much different than what is mentioned here. The only plus point is there is always someone to answer you in showroom and when we follow up for anything you will get the answer immediately.

We were seen as a suprise package when we asked for a PDI of the car before registration, also they were reluctant to give the VIN too.

Somehow my booking experience with Concorde was much better and Hope it depends on the top management of dealership and the individual sales guys willingness to serve the customer. unfortunately most of the Fiat sales guys knew that theose who wish to buy Fiat will definitely buy whatever available and take advantage of it.
    Dhans
    Fiat Punto 1.3 Emotion BNW 'Absolute' -2012
    Fiat Palio S10 - The Rare Legend -2002
    -------------------------------------------------
    Fiat Palio 1.2 ELX Silver Frost -2002 (sold)
    Fiat Palio 1.2 ELPS Silver Frost-2001 (sold to a friend)
    Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTS-i -2005 (Sold to a friend)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,093 Times in 497 Posts

Sorry to hear your plight. But thanks for spending time and sharing the detailed feedback. I'm sure there are many such occurrences across India at various dealership and not many come out and share.

Let me forward this to cai. I'm not expecting any action but atleast they can now know that such things won't go unnoticed.
    Anandh

1960 FIAT Select | 1962 FIAT Super Select | 1964 Ambassador | 2003 FIAT Palio S10 |2011 FIAT Linea 1.3 E+ | 2015 FIAT Linea Dynamic

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cvanandh For This Useful Post:

Respected Member
    Thanks

Thanks Dhans for your kind words.
    Customers with Maruthi have the option of visting multiple dealers in non metros also, but with FIAT, it is the monopoly in game. We still stick to FIAT and remain to be loyal for their excellent products. But these humilations to the customers become intolerablle. Please read on my complete story which iam posting in next few minutes and you will understand the truth behind my point

- - - - - Updated - - - - -

Thanks anandh for your forwarding of the issue to the concerned. Atleast the future prospective customers pulled in to the showroom deserve a better service.

- - - - - Updated - - - - -

More events unfolded in the following days- Due to my work couldnt update continually, but here is the complete summary.

Sensed a ray of hope after writing to mangesh, fiat-india website feedback section (The site gave in an error after i clicked the submit button, not sure if it reached their database). Got a mail from mangesh that the issue is taken up with the dealership.
    Me, my brother and my father discusssed in the interim about the happenings.

Our opinions were divided - i was strong in going for cancellation and did not want to deal with the people who didnt have basic ethics in their business. We could book at the Fiat dealer in Erode or Salem for the same car, even if it is priced higher, and get it registered in coimbatore. But it means atleast 2 trips to these places and delay in getting hands of the car. My brother was interested in a compensation - be it a discount or a free accessory. But my father made a point - "If the car was waiting for 7 months to reach me, it had to be special. We shall take it as our fate and move on. Cancelling the car at this point means distrust to the car dealer and we would fall in their mouths unnecessarily which i dont want to do" Though i did not like the logic in his point, the positiveness and humanness in his words moved me. It reminded me of the initial words in the tamil movie - Pannayarum Padminiy'um where the director spells - "The fate and owner of a car is decided at the factory itself while it is made". We decided to stick to our father's words and move on from the point of cancelling it out.

Got a call from the manager of CAI Fiat Mr.Yuvaraj to my brother on 12th August 2014 afternoon. He sought unconditonal appology and told him that he was not aware of any proceedings so far on this particular booking case and lot happened without his knowledge (This statement is in controversy with Madan's words where he told that he updated the situation to his manager more than 10 times). He further said- "Sir, why have you taken the matter everywhere, we would have settled it ourselves. What do you want, tell me, we can make it happen?". So my brother did not push out for cancellation but instead asked for a cash discount and to which yuvaraj said "Sir, thats not possible. We are giving you the car at a break-even price. Any further reduction on the price would result loss in our books". Getting reminded on my fathers words, my brother did not further press it but asked for a remote locking as a freebie for compensation to which the manager yuvaraj readily agreed. He asked him so many times in the call - "sir, please send mail to mangesh immedieately that the issue is sorted out between us and close the loop" to which my brother said that he shall defnitely say that after taking delivery of the call.

My brother also got a call from Madan, the sales person on the evening of 12th August 2014 seeking unconditional appology. My brother was thrilled and was happy that atleast there was some impact on the complaints.

Meanwhile, as requested by them, my parents visited the showroom and paid in the balance of money of 60,000+ totalling the payment so far to 5,70,304 the day before registration (13th August 2014) so that the car could be registered on 14th of August and we could take in the delivery of independence day August 15,2014 evening.

I got again stuck with work and could not travel with my brother on night of 14th August 2014 to coimbatore for the delivery day. My brother waited for me,, but he had to go alone on early morning of 15th August 2014 to coimbatore from bangalore. When he picked up my parents and went to the CAI showroom around 5 PM, he was taken aback with the hospitality. They were welcommed with a boquet of flowers and the car was already placed in the delivery area with garland on its front grille. It was neatly cleaned. The watchman even had lemons bought readily to be put on all the 4 wheels to get crushed, as a symbol to wade off the negativity. Madan and Vadivel were already present on the occasion though it a long holiday to many. My brother was surprised when somebody got introduced to him as Vadivel on the delivery day, as he was thinking the person who barged in the negotiation without even getting introduced was vadivel. when asked for clarification with Madan, he was told that that guy was Mohan and not vadivel. My brother bought an Honda City i-Dtec recently and was thrilled about this welcome as it was first of its kind. But sadly, that is the only good part to write on about the delivery.

While my brother was casually going around the car as a general inspection, he was surprised to see the non presence of reverse parking sensors (Difficult to spot it on,since the car itself is black color) that was promised as a part of the deal. When asked with madhan, he was told - "Sorry sir, it was not fitted".
    "Why? You were supposed to fit it?"
    "No sir, I told you during the deal that i shall try to get in the parking sensors. But, as you already got in remote locking, we cant give you this".
    -- What a clever twist of words. He reserved in the anger for blowing it out in total sometime later.
    He was shocked to see the number plates not fitted in. When asked got the reply as -
    "No sir, in coimbatore we never give in number plates for free to any of the customers. They have to fit in themselves".
    "No, iam not asking about the high defnitition secure number plates that you fit in for a cost, iam asking the basic number plates that you are supposed to give".
    "Yes sir, i mean the same, the basic number plates. We dont provide it". I wondered what is the amount they charge in the name of standard fitments.

While this discussion was going on, my brother got a call from Yuvaraj, the manager. He expressed his grouse on the number plates to which yuvaraj. My brother also clarified yuvarj that it was not vadivel, but mohan who did not behave properly during sales discussions as it was a case of mistaken identity. Yuuaraj agreed to provide the normal number plates and asked my brother to hand over the phone to madhan. Madhan said - "ok sir, ok sir" in the phone and then agreed to fix in the number plates on their expense when the car is brought next to showroom sometime next week as it involves in some time.

They turned in to finish off the rest of the paper work. My brother was surprised to see that there was no manual and service coupons. "Sorry sir, those things got stuck in stockyard. Shall provide it next time when you visit the showroom". He was at his peak of fist already. No RTO payment challan also was handed over- when asked "In coimbatore, we get the challan only the next working day of the RTO. As today is holiday, we can get it on saturday or monday".

There was no extended warranty receipt handed over- when asked he was taken a back of the shock - "Sir, it was not in our deal. We already have given you the maximum offerings. The price of the car is 6,76,xxx and we subtracted 1,00,000 as discount to which it comes as 5,76,xxx when we subtract the extended warranty of 6629(if i remember corrrectly), then only we can offer you the car for the price of 5.7 lakhs that you asked for".

What a cheap world of business tactics. A customer could not be humilated any more further than this. I clearly remember the promise made by them for extended warranty as i kept on reminding it once a while during the negotiation Knowing FIATs reliability. With FIAT, opting out of extended warranty is like facing Shoaib Akthar's delivery on the cricket pitch without ab-guard which any one in the world would never do, or, atleast me. So there was no question of that. How on earth could they take away something that is promised if it eats into their profits or make them poor. Why are you agreeing to sell in at a first place, if it means losses to you ? Had me in the place, would have refused for delivery. Let the car rot in their place and become a symbol of disgrace and falsification than me getting tense on seeing it everytime about the cheating made on me.

My father, meanwhile was turning a little impatient as they had to visit their native deity temple the same evening with the new car and a pooja is already planned for it and the priest is waiting for this purpose. So, my brother put pause on the discussions asked the sales team to wait in office (My parents felt unaspicious to argue on the delivery date) send off my parents to the temple and he went alone to fight the battle.

He shouted on the sales chaps, after being patient all these times (I would not have taken delivery if i had been there. Words are words to me.) and vadivel himself accused madan infront of my brother for making promises that he could not fullfill.

Funniest was this answer from madhan-

"Sir, if i should give you the extended warranty and reverse parking sensors, management will deduct the money from my own salary". We are living in a world where even the pizza delivery staff are itself not held responsible for not keeping up the 45 minute delivery deadline

My brothers phone went on low battery and he could not get speaked to Yuvaraj again. It was 07:30 PM already and there was no one to report to. My brother left the place in utmost state of despair.

The next day (saturday, Aug 16,2014) my brother made a call to yuvaraj. He told about the unprofessional attitude and unethical behaviour from madhan. Yuvaraj's answer was more a kind of foreman's than a managers - "Sir, madhan very recently joined our crew. He doesnt know how to deal and promise the customers. I shall look into the file of yours, i dont know what is promised and what is not. I will get back to you on monday morning with the answers".

Is the sales file some sort of black box of an aircraft where all the points are recorded? Will wait and watch on monday.

Iam sick of writing,cribbing and agitating these days apart from my hectic office schedules.Few lessons learnt the hard way and worth sharing-

1. Never trust words of sales people, get everything in writing. A simple pre-filled template could be prepared and put on our forum so that everyone could take it to sales team and get it signed. There is no proof for the customers, words remain words and get dilluted in air or gets blown out, like by these unprofessionalists.
    2. If you cant be physically present during delivery and predelivery, dont rush to buy a car.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sivakumar For This Useful Post:

Respected Member
    Thanks

Update: Mr.Vadivel came in to my home on 16th of August 2014 and handed over the Dealer network booklet, service manual and Secret code key.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sivakumar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Pathetic! Reminds me of the delivery of Alto 800 from KHIVRAJ MOTORS Chennai.

We head to the delivery bay,

Me: Where are the reverse sensors?
    Sales Guy: Switches on the car, puts the car in reverse, It gives a JINGLE BELL sound. "Saar. This is reverse sensor"

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to naveen2cool For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast