Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Mitsubishi Lancer story

Thanks

My Mitsubishi Lancer story

Hi All,

Here is a short story of my latest addition, a Mitsubishi turbo charged Lancer diesel.

Way back in 2004, my humble Palio 1.2 petrol was my companion whether it?s daily office commuting or high way run. In fact I learnt to drive properly in this car. Though Palio 1.2 version is an under powered car (hope many of you agree with me), the ride and handling characteristics, build quality, comfort and the safety of the car is something that I cherish even today. Due to these very reasons, I continue to take her to all the places wherever I go.

But couple of things bothered me a lot which includes 1. Pulling ability with all the five seats occupied 2. frequent petrol station visits 3. lack of stopping power. (My honest opinion)

Years passed and now I?m a confident driver having thousands of kilometers under by belt. In 2008, I started thinking of upgrading to a sedan after driven a hatch for close to 5 years. My requirement is very simple, it needs to be a diesel powered motor and it should be as involving to drive as my first car Palio.

A friend of mine showed me a pre-worshiped Mitsubishi Lancer diesel, a 2004 GLXD model with 65K in the ado in pristine condition. Without looking further settle the amount and got hold of the baby. Immediately on taking possession, upgraded the tires to 205/55/R15 Yokohama S-drive with HR alloys. Here are few of the shots from my archive,

Name:  Image002.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  230.0 KB

Name:  Image008.jpg
Size:  230.5 KB

Name:  DSCN1596.JPG
Size:  175.9 KB

Name:  DSCN1611.JPG
Size:  240.8 KB

More than happy to accommodate both the cars in my home, since my wife started to use Palio for her daily commute to office.

Now my long journeys in Lancer becomes very comfortable because, 1. It has proper boot 2. the seats are much roomer 3. Its valet friendly too thanks to the diesel motor under the hood.

With every passing journey, I?m quite addicted to Lancer?s driving dynamics. Properly weighed steering that allows one to place the car exactly in the position you want it to be and the mannerism with which it takes on twist and turn is simply amazing.

Its year 2011, Lancer has crossed 1, 15, 000KMs, it has started showing its age. There is a perception in my mind that the highway ride is taking too long to cover. The diesel Lancer available in India puts out 68 BHP which is too low in 2011-12 standards, so started exploring the options to giving her more horses. To my disappointment every one I've contacted suggest that it?s very difficult to carry out any kind of modifications to diesel lancer. Reason: 1. lancer diesel sold is India is old school/manual mill not ECU driven like its petrol counterpart. 2. Fuel injection system is not common rail; it?s an electronic pump type.

Heard lot of horror stories in an attempt to turbo charged lancer diesel. So dropped the idea of adding a turbo altogether.

While casually surfing the net, came across the information that the same Indian model diesel engine is available in various state of tunes in rest of the world. The engine code is 4D68T. It?s the same engine that is powering the Indian lancer, the only inclusion being turbo charged from the factory. The turbo charged non-intercooler puts out 80PS, whereas turbo charged intercooler from the factory puts out 90PS.

Started day dreaming about sourcing this 4D68T engine and swap that into my lancer. Months passed not making much progress due to the fact that there is very little or no information available at lot about this engine swaps in the Indian context. Reached out to as much people I know, but there is no reliable info on the price/possibility of getting one to India. At last one gentle man shown such engine claiming it?s a 4D68T engine and its fits the lancer. Was disappointed after seeing the condition of the engine, it?s a complete crap, not even sure whether it?ll run or not. Also the mechanic is not sure about the kind of modification to be done to fit that engine. Moreover everyone I talked to discouraged me not to pursue this swap citing reason like long term reliability and availability of spare parts for such an engine.

The dreaming of swapping a 4D68T engine came to a grinding halt, with heartbroken, sold the lancer in 2011 Q1.

September 2011, new ride joined my family; it?s again a pre-worshiped, Skoda Laura 1.9 PD 2010 model which has clocked 11k in the ado.

This is how my garage looked after the arrival of Laura,

Name:  DSCN0785.JPG
Size:  156.7 KB

... to be continued
    Last edited by salagiri; 04-26-2015 at 04:41 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to salagiri For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: My Mitsubishi Lancer story

nice narration.

dont make us wait too long for the next part...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,093 Times in 497 Posts

Wow. All along we thought that the Palio was your only car. Waiting to hear the rest of the story

Sent from my ASUS
    Anandh

1960 FIAT Select | 1962 FIAT Super Select | 1964 Ambassador | 2003 FIAT Palio S10 |2011 FIAT Linea 1.3 E+ | 2015 FIAT Linea Dynamic

Thanks

Skoda Laura was an accidental buy. After parting away from the Lancer in March 2011, I set myself a budget of 10 to 12 lakhs. Having driven around in a hatch and a sedan, this time I want to try my luck with a used SUV. Narrow down by search to either a Nissan x-trail or a Mitsubishi Pajero SFX. SFX model in 2011 selling around 15 lakhs in the used car market, so Pajero immediately out of my radar. X-trail in used car market that?s too a properly cared one is hard to track down. Luckily came across a pristine condition black color x-trail with only 55K in the ado in one of the weekend newspaper ad. Contacted the person/test drove the vehicle and even ready for the payment he asked for. But luck is not in my side this time around. He sold the vehicle to one of his close associate.

Its September now, there is still no sign of decently maintained x-trail showing up in the used car market. My family members/friends encouraged me to settle for a brand new WV Vento/Hyundai Verna/Fiat Linea MJD, but I?m quite adamant on putting my hand on an x-trail. Then one fine Sunday morning got a call from a used car dealer, informed me about a one and half year old Laura with 11k in the odo up for sale. Went to the dealer?s place, took her for a spin. Very much liked the premium look and feel of the car inside or outside and it?s quick too. With SFX out of my reach and x-trail hard to track down, finally happily settle with Skoda Laura 1.9 TDI.

Having successfully secured another driver?s delight, my highway cruising has became even more exciting than before. Laura 1.9 PD unit is refined (not refined as its common rail counterpart), frugal, fast and enjoyable to drive too.

Though I?ve much better sedan in hand (Laura) than the old school Lancer, that abandoned Lancer turbo project itched somewhere deep inside my head and refuses to die down, thanks to other similar project that are doing the round in the social networking forum.

Again years passed by and in Jan 2014, got a credible source of information about a person whom I can rely on in souring the same 4D68T engine. In the same week got a chance to talk to the person and the outcome of the conversion was very encouraging. He was willing to source one for me and also learnt the engine 4D68T is a straight bold on, no modifications what so ever needed to fit that engine into Indian made Lancer diesel chassis. One little disappointment though, I was hunting for that 90 PS factory fitted inter-cooler model, but the person is willing to source only the non-intercooled model. Paid the advance for the non-intercooler model thinking I can anyway add an aftermarket inter-cooler and thereby take the power out to match factory fitted 90 PS model.

From approximately 20 to 30 days from the data of advance payment, the engine has landed, without wasting no time relocated the engine to my reliable garage from where the whole transplant is going to be carried out. One happy soul at last.

Here are few of the snaps when the engine lying around in the garage floor,

Name:  DSCN0964.JPG
Size:  242.5 KB

Name:  DSCN0965.JPG
Size:  205.1 KB

Name:  DSCN0966.JPG
Size:  174.4 KB

Name:  DSCN0967.JPG
Size:  248.8 KB

Name:  DSCN0968.JPG
Size:  154.6 KB

Name:  DSCN0976.JPG
Size:  214.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0971.JPG
Size:  283.6 KB

Name:  DSCN0974.JPG
Size:  265.7 KB
    Last edited by salagiri; 04-27-2015 at 01:38 AM.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to salagiri For This Useful Post:

Thanks

wow. nice to read your experience. Keep it coming

Thanks
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 721 Posts

Wow, nice story of your lance. As anandh said, i was also in the impression you had only palio. Waiting for more details.
    Dhans
    Fiat Punto 1.3 Emotion BNW 'Absolute' -2012
    Fiat Palio S10 - The Rare Legend -2002
    -------------------------------------------------
    Fiat Palio 1.2 ELX Silver Frost -2002 (sold)
    Fiat Palio 1.2 ELPS Silver Frost-2001 (sold to a friend)
    Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTS-i -2005 (Sold to a friend)

Respected Member
    Thanks

lancer, Laura, project Lancer 90PS.. thats some continuous surprises for all of us, from a palio man.

we are waiting to know what happened next and when the next fiat would enter your garage..

Kawasaki Ninja 650R - 2011
    Grande Punto 1.3 - 2013 | Exotic Red | 60000 kms | Lost to Chennai Floods
    FIAT Palio GTX - 2001 (from Aug 2010) | Silver Frost | Sold
    Alto K10 - Sep 2011 | White | mile muncher | 24k+ kms - sold
    RE TBTS - May 2009 | Black | Commute and Highway rider

Love for MY FIAT | Envy owners of Classics | Admiration for every FIAT on road

Thanks

Thank you guys for your replies. Will complete the rest of the story ASAP.

Thanks

What a wondeful story. Looking forward for more.
    2011 BNW PUNTO MJD Active aka RUSTY

Thanks

Having secured the turbo charged diesel engine, the next step of action is to tracked down a well maintained donor lancer and that too a diesel, otherwise engine mounting needs to be fabricated which I don?t want to do. I?ve waited, waited and almost waited for 3 months, finally settling on a LE model which was as original as possible. Everything in working condition from power windows, electric OVRMs, cassette player, antennae, fog lamp etc...

Here is couple of shots of the donor car. Yes I agree the paint scheme in the car is uninspiring and boring. It would be better if it?s a black or yellow or red in color. If one looks beyond the color, the car is as straight and original as possible.

Name:  P_20150501_112853_HDR.jpg
Size:  340.8 KB

Name:  DSCN0962.JPG
Size:  259.6 KB

Name:  DSCN0963.JPG
Size:  255.6 KB

Name:  DSCN0973.JPG
Size:  190.3 KB

Now both the donor car and the engine was with me, started planning the dates to complete the engine transplant. The plan is to complete the swap in 5 ? 6 days since it?s a straight bolt on swap, no modifications whatsoever was needed to carry out the swap. Since the time available is short, ordered the below essential spare parts in advance.
    1.engine flush
    2. engine oil
    3. oil filter/fuel filter/air filter
    4. two engine mounts & two gear box mounts
    5. timing belt/AC belt/alternator belt/ fan belt
    6. brake pads
    7. KYB shock absorbers and struts mounting kit
    8. Channel rubber (the one in the car has perished)

Started the swap on one fine Monday morning. First the non turbo engine in the car was dropped.

Name:  DSCN0977.JPG
Size:  258.2 KB

Then all the wiring harness and radiator hoses are swapped between the engines. The auto gear box from the turbo engine was removed and the manual gear box from the non turbo engine was matted with the turbo engine.
    The A/C compressor in the donor car is of clutch type and the one that came with the turbo engine is of piston type. Seems the clutch type compressor puts lot a strain in the engine when compared to the piston type. So swapped the a/c compressor as well.

As planned the swap was completed by Friday and took delivery of the car on next day evening itself. This is an as simple swap as possible. I?ve reused the same manual gear box, same engine wiring, same radiator plumbing, same fuel line and even no change to the exhaust system, not even in the exhaust manifold where the turbo sits.
    This is the final outcome of the build,

Name:  P_20150501_112653_HDR.jpg
Size:  299.1 KB

Name:  P_20150501_112653_HDR.jpg
Size:  299.1 KB

Name:  P_20150501_112936_HDR.jpg
Size:  320.2 KB

Name:  P_20150501_113012_HDR.jpg
Size:  300.9 KB

Name:  P_20150501_113028_HDR.jpg
Size:  295.6 KB

Name:  P_20150501_113108_HDR.jpg
Size:  260.8 KB

Name:  P_20150501_113227_HDR.jpg
Size:  284.8 KB

Name:  P_20150501_113201_HDR.jpg
Size:  228.5 KB

Let me try to answer some of the questions that dominated my mind before this transplant attempt,

Is this build an easy and straight forward?
    Yes this swap is as easy and simple as possible, since no changes are needed to the engine mounts or anything else for the matter.

Is this build reliable?
    Yes it is utterly reliable as its stock engine in the international market sometimes back. Have driven close to 10,000Kms after the transplant, no issues whatsoever I?ve faced till date. No erratic engine temperature, no oil or radiator coolant leak. Power delivery is very linear.

Is this build expensive?
    No. This is as cheap build as possible as far as I know.

Is this build completely transforming the power output of the car?
    The answer is part Yes and part NO. Now with this turbo engine, the car pulls effortlessly from lower gear and it can quickly reach 3 digits figure with ease when compared to the non-turbo engine. But what is lagging is the engine refinement level when compared to today?s modern common rail counterpart. Overall I?m quite happy with the outcome of this build.

Should I recommend this to someone who owns a lancer diesel and want to improve the performance?
    Yes TC engine definitely makes a difference. For someone who loves his lancer and don?t want to give it up, this is a welcome change.

What?s next?
    Minor change to the paint scheme like a black colored top, evo 9 rear spoiler/ front grill might lift the car?s appeal a bit.
    Seems the clutch plate has gone. Gear lever got stuck at times while changing gear. I think this the symptom of clutch plate worn out.
    If I understood correctly, a properly fitted inter-cooler might increase the power out by 10%. Same size good after market turbo charger like garret may even push the out to higher levels. This is in theory; I?m not sure whether the same can be released in this old school engine. I?m in touch with people who?re experts in this field. Their response so far about this idea is not positive. Adding an inter-cooler to a non ECU engine and to adjust the boost drop/fuel ratio is next to impossible. This is what I got from them so far. I?ll keep on pushing this idea and I can only hope that one day my dream of adding an inter-cooler and taking a power out further up will materialize.

This is what finally I want my car engine bay to look like at the end,

Name:  lancer-intercooler.jpg
Size:  166.6 KB

If any of you guys know someone who can help me out with this vague idea(inter-cooler addition/better turbo upgrade), please let me know.
    Last edited by salagiri; 05-14-2015 at 01:04 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salagiri For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast