Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My pre-owned TJet - A tale of economics, emotions and mechanics

Thanks

Re: My pre-owned TJet - A tale of economics, emotions and mechanics

February 2016.

Linea's been standing in the garage most of the time because all our attention has now been focussed on the new arrival to the family. Now that he's nearly two month's old, its time for his first road trip. Bangalore to Chennai on a nice cool Saturday morning. We started around 7 am only cause getting the kids luggage and the kitchen sink into the car took us almost 2 hours. We knew we'd pay the price for this delayed start, but being February, hopefully it would get too hot later in the day. As it was already 7 when I started from Malleswaram, i decided to take the Chitoor route to avoid spending one more hour at least getting to Madiwala and then another to reach Hosur. Chittor route was easy to reach, took the outer ring road, KR Puram and soon we were on the highway. All the way via Hospet, Mulbagal, the roads are 4 laned, and upon crossing to Andhrapradesh, the road turns into a two lane road. Spotted another T-Jet racing past me somewhere near Hospet, with the driver giving me a puzzled look as to why another T-Jet was driving so slow. I kept it at 90-100 tops to avoid any unpleasant breaking since there was a two month old baby in the car. We stopped at a small hotel just before Palamner, for a quick breakfast and I got two pongals packed. We drove a little further and found a nice shady spot under a tree, and hurriedly we had some breakfast. The older one was stirring now and she tucked into food hungrily too. Without wasting time, we set off. The roads get quite unpleasant in the stretch between Chittor and TN border, but just after crossing TN border again the roads are super smooth. We made good time and reached Ranipet and then met up with the other main route. From Ranipet to Madras the roads are pretty bad, I never understood why this section is permanently bad. The little one didnt feel too good cooped in the car, and started a wail now and then. Luckily we convinced our older one to fall asleep and she dutifully went to sleep for 2 hours

Uneventfully we reached Madras and luckily there was not much traffic while reaching Adyar. A testament to the comfort in the Linea. Neither child, nor my lovely spouse showed signs of any fatigue, but nevertheless we were relieved to reach safely and without any sort of trouble. The rest of the day was spent at her home, and I planned to start early in the AM next day to reach Bangalore soon.

Of course, plans never work, and it was nearly noon by the time I left. Heading westwards, the blazing sun was absolutely in my face through out the trip back. The A/C (I always had bad experiences with the A/C in my Palio) was fabulous and kept me cool in spite of the roasting sun. I stopped along the way to have some food (my wife had packed a box for me to eat along the way), and took a customary picture. I had not slept most of the previous night, and by this time I was exhausted, and the warm sun in my face and a full stomach meant that my senses were comfortably numb! Had to pinch myself a few times to concentrate on the road, and then I opened the window for sometime to allow the wind to slap me awake. Was a good drive back except for the blasted sun in my face, but still enjoyed.

The Jet on account of sedate driving consumed 5.7L/100 km. That's a great figure and I guess it works out to about 37 Litres of petrol consumed. With the tolls and all I think the total came out to about 3k for the trip. Pretty good. And the amount of stuff we crammed into the car was astounding.

Again the Linea stays in the garage, and hopefully a trip is in the works soon enough. The battery lock icon is now permanently on, which means I have to change the battery ASAP. Certainly before the next trip.

Here is a picture just outside of Ranipet where I stopped for lunch.

Name:  linea20170206.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  112.5 KB

Kind regards,
    Kiran

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kirans For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Nice read!
    Congrats on the new arrival, and road trip with him

5.7L/100 km (~ 17+ kms/L) is fantastic driving indeed; congrats on that too!
    Max I could achieve was 14+ during a Vellore - Mysore and back trip couple of years back.

Next time you are on this route, lets try and meet (in or near Vellore).
    This invite is open to all, of course

Regards,
    -Sridhar

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gibis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,093 Times in 497 Posts

Finally got to meet you today and your linea looks great!

Hearty congratulations on the new arrival and wishing you many more happy miles on the jet!

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk
    Anandh

1960 FIAT Select | 1962 FIAT Super Select | 1964 Ambassador | 2003 FIAT Palio S10 |2011 FIAT Linea 1.3 E+ | 2015 FIAT Linea Dynamic

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cvanandh For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Likewise Anand. Great to see you in person and meet everyone else too! It was a great meet, and we should all get together more often for some drives too.

Kind regards,
    Kiran

Thanks

Did another quick weekend dash to Chennai and back in the Jet. Next week the Alto will go there and stay there until April, when the whole family returns to Bangalore for good. Drove with a light foot in the onward journey, wanted to see the best F.E I could achieve.

Name:  ChennaiTripStats20170311.jpg
Size:  129.5 KB

Return wanted to do better, but the empty road in the night got the better of me, and i was in no mood to keep to the limits. Still the car returned a respectable 5.6L/100k in the return, which is good too.

On the flip side, the reverse sensor stopped working and it seems to be the handiwork of rats. My cat and dog at home seem to be least interested in catching mice since their meals are well taken care of. Maybe I should starve them, so that they will catch the mice. Will try to get the reverse sensor fixed, and check for any other damaged wiring this week.

Kind regards,
    Kiran

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kirans For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 721 Posts

you can change the units to KM/L instead of L/100km. option available in Menu (near fog lamp button) and you can change only when vehicle is in stationary.
    Dhans
    Fiat Punto 1.3 Emotion BNW 'Absolute' -2012
    Fiat Palio S10 - The Rare Legend -2002
    -------------------------------------------------
    Fiat Palio 1.2 ELX Silver Frost -2002 (sold)
    Fiat Palio 1.2 ELPS Silver Frost-2001 (sold to a friend)
    Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTS-i -2005 (Sold to a friend)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dhans4all For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi Dhans,

I had only changed to L/100k because i find this simpler to calculate. For instance Madras to BLR is 350km, so i just multiply the L by 3.5. Wondering if its only me who feels this reverse display is easier. I guess we are used to the normal convention of km/L from childhood. This is easier to calculate range offered by filling X amount of fuel.

How accurate is the MID anyway. I've believed its readings so far, never bothered to calculate the full tank to full tank method. Maybe I should do this once, to measure the accuracy of the reading.

Kind regards,
    Kiran

Kind regards,
    Kiran

Thanks
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 721 Posts

I am habituated with KM/L calculation as my drives are for 400 km and my target is 20kmpl.

Fiat MID is accurate, the difference between tankful method and MID will be around 0.5kmpl in MJD engines. (MID will be showing 0.5kmpl lesser than actual)
    Dhans
    Fiat Punto 1.3 Emotion BNW 'Absolute' -2012
    Fiat Palio S10 - The Rare Legend -2002
    -------------------------------------------------
    Fiat Palio 1.2 ELX Silver Frost -2002 (sold)
    Fiat Palio 1.2 ELPS Silver Frost-2001 (sold to a friend)
    Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTS-i -2005 (Sold to a friend)

Thanks

I did a 2 day trip to Subhramanya, Dharmasthala and Horanadu on April 5 and April 6th. Wonderful trip in spite of it being summer. Surprisingly the malnad region was not as hot as I thought it would be, and as usual the green was glad to behold.

Only me and my mother went on the trip, and we started out a little late because I had to work until 2 am the previous night. Started around 7.15 am, and filled up petrol from Shell near my house. This time I didnt forget the check for tyre pressure, and even got the spare checked. Everything was OK and we were off. Tumkur road is easy access from where I live and soon we reached Nelamangala junction. After that traffic eased up, and it was smooth sailing until Hassan. We stopped at Adyar AnandaBhavan for breakfast, and by the time we were done, the sun was beating down. After that until Sakleshpura there was surprisingly heavy traffic (mostly lorries) and we were afraid that we would be late and temple would be closed. Luckily we were able to get past the lorries and drive down Shiradi ghats quite fast. My original plan to drive down Bisle was abandoned as it would take more time. We reached Subramanya by 12.30 and fortunately the queue was not much. After nice darshan, we had lunch at temple itself, and after a very short break, we started towards Dharmasthala. We had not booked any rooms, but usually its easily available in Dharmasthala so we were quite confident of getting. We took our time en-route, enjoying the greenery of the Pushpagiri protected forest and by around half past three we reached Dharmasthala and checked into the room.

Took a short break and had coffee to refresh ourselves, and we went to the temple. After visiting Annappa, we headed to the main temple and surprisingly there were hardly any people inside. We managed to get comfortable darshan here too, and took our time enjoying the ambience. After that we spent some time in the vicinity. We did not go to the museum since we have been to Dharmasthala umpteen times, but for first timers its highly recommended to go. Dinner was again at Annapurna and with complete contentment we retired to the room for the night.

Name:  img2.jpg
Size:  935.2 KB

Since we were able to visit both temples on Day 1 itself, we thought next day we will drive via Charmadi and visit Horanadu also. Early next morning we started by 6 am, and drove towards Horanadu. Topped up some petrol near Ujre and then the drive up Charmadi was fantastic.

Name:  20170406_082933.jpg
Size:  1.86 MB

Name:  20170406_083206.jpg
Size:  1.60 MB

Name:  img1.jpg
Size:  903.1 KB

After reaching Horanadu Annapurneswari temple, we were pleasantly surprised that we were the only people in the temple. It was very nice and peaceful, and we spent a lot of time inside. But staying back for lunch would be too late, and we decided to start back to avoid city traffic in the evening.

Name:  img5.jpeg
Size:  55.1 KB

Drive back towards Hassan was uneventful except for a section which was being repaired, and the car bottomed at several locations. I was afraid something would give way, but it seemed to go past. After stopping for a moment to check if something was leaking or damaged, we continued towards Hassan. Reached Hassan by around 3 pm, and had lunch at Kamath. Sadly the Kamath chain seems to be going from bad to worse, as the hotel had a deserted dusty look. The food was quite passable, but nothing spectacular. After some strong coffee we were energized and started back around 3.30. Reached Bangalore just by 6pm, and some city traffic meant that it took another 30 minutes to reach home at Malleswaram.

All in all a very nice trip and I enjoyed the feel of the TJet in the ghats. Last year the same exact route was done on the Palio, and that too was very enjoyable. I was not sure how this car would feel in the ghats, but it seemed to handle very well. Due to the ghats the F.E dropped as expected.

Final stats were -
    Total 744.6km. 6.3L/100km.
    Avg speed 47kmph
    Total drive time 15.6 hrs

Name:  img3.jpg
Size:  975.2 KB

Also please see my trip video here - https://youtu.be/NeE2ZwQLATE

Kind regards,
    Kiran

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kirans For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Last weekend update: June 23-26 2017 -

We made a last minute plan to go to Chennai for the long weekend, and decided on Thursday that we shall leave in the Friday afternoon and plan to reach Chennai late night. Went to the garage on Friday morning only as I was swamped with work all week, and saw the car full of dust as it had been parked in the garage for almost a month now. Cleaned and dusted it, and as I turned the key to ON, the lights seemed unusually dull. Heart sinking I knew this battery had its life out, and better not take chance in the night drive with a poor battery. So went to a local shop for Amaron, after getting suggestion from Naveen and Anandh on whatsapp, and asked for DIN55 battery. After some haggling we settled on 4500 with exchange, and it was a Jun 2017 stock. Absolutely fresh battery. Satisfied with the change, we started towards Hosur road where at Silk board we were supposed to be joined by my wife's cousin who works in Ecospace RMZ campus. We planned on starting by 4 PM, but managed only by 5.15 PM. (Getting two <4 year old children ready for anything is an absolute impossiblity). I knew we are going to hit heavy traffic, and with a sigh we started. Reached Silk board quite fast surprisingly, I think it was around 6 PM. Cousin too reached around the same time, and we took the elevated road towards EC. I was expecting a big queue at the EC toll, but it was just a few cars. Happy at this, I jinxed the good furtune by telling everyone we are very lucky we seem to have missed the traffic. Sure enough in 15 minutes we reached the Hosur toll gate which was unimaginably crowded. The queue started from the previous fly-over itself and we wasted a good 1 hour at this queue. Needless to say the kids were hungry and irritable, and started wailing in the cabin. Finally we crossed the toll, and started towards Krishnagiri. I had planned to stop at Krishnagiri for dinner, and we made it only by around 8.30 or so. The kids were exhausted and hungry, and so were the wife and cousin. I rushed them off to the hotel, and had to hold my crying boy until his mother had something to eat, and took over babysitting. I too had a relaxed dinner as my legs were cramped with all the clutching. Around 9.45 PM or so, we started from the hotel, and within minutes everyone was asleep.

Soon reached the left turn at Krishnagiri, steered towards Chennai, and started enjoying my drive in peace at last. Played some soft music so that no one is disturbed, and the kilometers just went past. After Ambur there was hint of rain, and lightning, and soon by the time I reached Vellore, the rain was really heavy. Wipers were at full speed, but there was just a waterfall effect on the screen. Reached the ranipet toll, and thought I should halt until the rain eases. But like an idiot, i decided otherwise, because everyone was asleep, i thought I might as well drive on. Mistake. The road in this section is bad, and unmarked without reflectors. I could hardly see anything and probably was doing only 50s-60s at most.

One incident happened. An Innova flew past me in the heavy rain, (he had half dozen headlights and all that) and I was wondering how he can drive in this rain at that speed. After 20 minutes I think i went past him as he was off the road in the fields with the headlights pointing towards some trees. Rain and speed are a bad combination! Anyway, i was slow and careful, and we reached Adyar only around 1.30 AM. Kids were rushed to bed, and i was not feeling sleepy at all. Listened to some pink floyd on the phone, and started my usual grumbling about the hot weather and finally fell asleep.

Next morning I got out and saw that the car was as if it returned from a rally. There was mud all over and it was filthy as hell. Decided, it shall stay like that only, and can be washed next day. Spent the whole day with the family, just relaxing. Next day, I took a good hour to wash it, and bring it to some semblance of clean, and thought I'd play some music as I clean it. So i switched on and turned the music on, but heard only crackle sounds. Odd, i thought, and tried a few other switches. Headlight was very dim, and when turned on, the cabin light went off and flickered suspiciously. Damn, I thought the battery was drained or something with all that rain, something may have shorted. Now, I'm in Chennai, and don't know where to go to check the battery. Fiat Whatsapp group to the rescue. Anandh (Thank you sir ji) pointed me to nearest battery shop in Adyar, and also Rahul offered to come by and help jump start. I'm amazed at the help that gets offered in the group and its just very very nice. THe car cranked fine, and I went to the Battery shop. They checked the battery and it was fine. Then the mechanic noticed that one of the +ve connectors was corroded, and said, maybe this is the reason, its not giving a good connection. He removed all the connectors, and cleaned them with emery paper and reconnected everything. Voila, all electricals are fine again. Relieved i returned home.

Next morning, we went for early morning visit to beach and started for BLR by 11 AM. It was an uneventful trip back home. We stopped at one Saravana Bhavan, just around 0.5 km from Krishnagiri turning. Guys, please don't stop here. The bathroom is filthy, and the women folk had it very uncomfortable. We only really stop for bio-breaks for the ladies, and if thats not clean enough, I make it a point to skip that hotel always. Food is of least importance here, highway food really does not matter. We reached Hosur toll gate by 4.30, and from there it was a lot of traffic until Forum mall. From Forum to my house was very fast, but we only reached home around 6.45.

Overall F.E was around 6.5L/100 and probably was due to all the traffic both ways. I usually get better figures on the highway.

One thing I've decided is that come what may, I need extra headlights on this car. Dont know what is the possibility of adding extra Hella lamps on the front grille, looks be damned, but I'm sure going to try to find out. The headlights are average under normal conditions, and poor when it rains. And as I prefer driving in the night, I definitely will plan on doing something about the lighting.

Thats it for now, the car has reached 17.6k km and one more trip to Chennai is planned in last week of July. Just enjoying the drives in the Linea.

Happy driving and stay safe!
    Best regards,
    Kiran

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast