Thread: Forgot your keys in your car and locked it. Don't Panic

Thanks

Forgot your keys in your car and locked it. Don't Panic

I was planning my first long trip on my Palio and was very excited. This was the first time I will be driving on a highway. We planned to start early morning and my cousins were waiting for my arrival and plan to had a good weekend celebration. I made sure I filled up my tank and checked the air pressure the night before. Only last thing remaining was to clean my windshield and other glasses. I completed my cleaning and locked the doors. I found my trunk open and few thing left out of my car, Kept the key in the trunk and all the other things and BANG closed the trunk. My GOD I don't have a duplicate key and locked my car with key inside it.

Had very hard time trying to open the doors the Maruthi way through the front door window bidding. No success this method is not going to work for your palio. Then i started googling but nothing worked. At last 2:00 AM morning I informed my Mom that we will not be able to start tomorrow morning. Had a sleepless night. Woke up again 7:30 in the morning first thing googled some duplicate car key makers, found some on Justdial website. The first one to whom I spoke told me its not a big deal for him to just open the door and it will cost me 400 bucks , but will come after an hour. Tried reaching the second one, Wow good response told he will be there in 15 minutes and will charge 300 bucks. Good deal.

Yes, the guy was there in 15 minutes, he just brought two things with him one cloth hanger fully straighten up except the hook and other rectangular pouch with a ball attached to it to pump air some thing similar to BP measuring apparatus. He just slided the rectangular pouch under the door form top of the door and pumped the air in it as the pouch got inflated there was enough gap where he can insert the straighten hook. He inserted the hanger and pulled the lock lever. Alas the door opened. All it took approximately one minute.

I was happy as I was ready for my first trip and good thing I recorded this entire operation on my phone planning to share with you all. Unfortunetly lost my phone on the same trip

So next time you end in a situation something similar to mine. Don't Panic, just call a duplicate car key maker he will do it in a minute without spoiling your car if it palio. I am not sure about other cars. Make sure you have a Duplicate Key with you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,093 Times in 497 Posts
    wow Abdul, that's very interesting and informative too. Thanks for sharing! Great to know that your maiden highway journey was not interrupted due to this and sorry about your phone too.

Thanks
    Thanks for sharing. And good technique to pull apart the door. This was exactly how the key was recovered from my FIL's petra when he locked the key in the boot. A mechanic came with an accelerator cable and pulled the top corner of the front door, with his hands, leaving sufficient gap to insert the cable! Pulled the lock lever and the whole process took 5 minutes.

Thanks

Re: Forgot your keys in your car and locked it. Don't Panic

Hi abdul,

First of all thank you so much for sharing this here. Its really interesting, informative but little disappointing at the same time. Forgetting key inside the locked car is a main issue and most of the peoples have happened it. I am always keeping a duplicate key in my hand as my friends suggested. I would like to tell that keep a duplicate key with us when going to a long trip.

Regards,
    Thomas