http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...a/message/2156 - Prafull
Wed May 15, 2002 2:38 am

Dashboard Rattling Noise

Hello friends,

I have seen this problem being mentioned quite frequently on this forum.

In my car (Sports; 1300 km now) the noise emanates somewhere near the centre-left of the dash board.

It is experienced in all the gears, but more prominent at lower RPMs. It is not due to a loose door / rear sit vibration or a loose ashtray/glove box cover / AC louvers etc. I have checked all these myself.

Despite 3 visits to the dealer, the problem persists.

The noise becomes very irritating after a while. {Never had any such thing with my 5 yr old M-800.}

Any ideas regarding the source of this noise and has anyone been successful in overcoming the problem?

Regards
Prafull

Wed May 15, 2002 9:38 am

Well it is also possible that it can be the handbrake noise, in my case my handbrake use to rattle
and I always thought it was near the gearbox or the dashboard.

If it is not the dashboard than ask your dealer to check the gear- foundation or let him to open up your dash board and refit it again. I think that should help

All the best,
Abhishek

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...a/message/2217 - Pratibhasrinivas
Wed May 22, 2002 9:13 am

Rattle bug Palio

Dear All

The common complaint in most Palio cars are the dashboard / rear (something there, I don’t know suspension or what) rattle when driving in not so smooth roads / potholes etc which is very bugging and
irritating and nor seen in other cars.

Has anybody rectified this problem for good in their Palio and if so how and what did the dealer do.

Regards
Srinivas

Wed May 22, 2002 9:23 am

Hi Srinivas

Given the not so great service and the attitude of Fiat dealers, I guess we all will have to just live with it.

Sundar Valluri

Wed May 22, 2002 9:39 am

Hi

I think fiat and its dealers themselves don’t know where these rattling are coming and attribute everything to a something common or trivial for us to worry.

But I have been trying lot of cars now and I have not seen any such rattle in any of the other cars and they are far smoother also, also to hari , this problem is both in 1.2 and 1.6 and also after the suspension is realigned, since I have got this suspension stuff done but the rattle continues.

We need to take strongly with fiat for such a crappy car in such issues and see the rubber lining is poor, god only knows what else is poor inside. I am sure fiat does not know.

Srinivas

Wed May 22, 2002 9:24 am

I have the same problems.

In case of dashboard I fisrt thought it was the ashtray. But now some other sound is also coming - from somewhere around the music system. At the back, it is the rear -viper which is rattling.

Shyam S

Wed May 22, 2002 6:58 am

Hi,

This is from rear suspension, in GTX and also due to low profile tyres. Fiat have instructed their dealers to make some modification in the rear suspension and my car has been redone yesterday. I will report my
observation tomorrow.

But in 1.2 models there is no complaint of this kind.

Common other complaints on Palio and my remedies are:

1. AC water leak: Check blocked drain hose .Do not park the car under trees with withering leaves.

2. Door Closing: Rubber used by PALIO is not of good material or standard. It stretches soon and this causes the strip to hang out causing leak.

Hari

Tue Jun 4, 2002 10:35 am

Hi All,

Agree so much with Shrinivas,

I experienced a similar rattling noise with the dash board from Day- 1, which the dealer could not rectify for 2 months (they kept saying it was a "minor problem").

The noise was coming from an area somewhere close to the top-centre or left of the dash board.

On the third visit to the dealer last week (Angad-Mumbai), I insisted that this be corrected.

They had to take out the complete dashboard, instrument panel etc.

Finally, as I was told, the problem was traced to the loose fitting of a front panel (where the wipers are fitted) and Rectified by inserting a double sided Adhesive tape below the panel.

It took them 2 days to trace and rectify the problem.

Also it has introduced a small gap between in windshield glass and it's bottom rubber gasket. (I do not know what effect it will have).

The noise seemed to go away for 2-3 days. But now I have started getting a similar noise now from top right of the panel.

HOPE SOMEBODY FROM FIAT READS THIS AND SUGGESTS A CORRECTIVE ACTION.

Else I guess I will have to live with this noise.

I have driven so many different cars, but Palio seems to be the noisy one. Even the AC blower makes so much noise at speeds above 2. Can anyone suggest any remedies?

Incidentally, at the end of day one when I was assured that the problem was fixed, and I drove out the car from the ANGAD workshop, I noticed that the central locking system and the clock had ceased
functioning and there was a new louder noise coming from back side of the instrument cluster. Unfortunately for me the workshop had closed by then and I had to take the car back to them next morning and spend another 4 hours. Speaks volumes about the quality control.

PrafullP

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...a/message/5426 - Rahul Kulkarni
Mon Feb 9, 2004 9:38 am

Guys,

I got my NV ELX yesterday.

The car is a beauty except for one thing. Whenever I accelerate in the 2nd to change in the 3rd, I get a rattling noise the same thing happens from 3rd to 4th.

The noise is only temporary and when I change the gear it disappears.

It comes from the dashboard. I suspect something must be loose but cannot understand. Any thoughts?

This thing also makes me wonder why does this have to happen always with me. I have till date never ever got 100% satisfaction in anything that I have purchased. Something or the other has to be nasty somewhere.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Rahul Kulkarni

Mon Feb 9, 2004 11:13 am

Rahul,

I had this problem initially. After first service it went away. I guess they would have fixed it.

If you could live with it for now, do that. If you take it to Sundaram (I assume you are in Bangalore)
they will fix it but will break something else (From my experience).

Regards
Nikhil

Mon Feb 9, 2004 7:14 pm

Hi Rahul,

Don’t get worried so much. The problem of dashboard rattle has been discussed on this forum before, and you should be able to get it sorted out during service (but you will have to persist).

For your info, I got my problem fixed at Angad, Mumbai.

See the previous mails on various possible sources of noise. A lot of useful info there.

BTW, are you changing the gears at right rpm range? Try raising the engine a bit more before changing the gears.

Prafull

Mon Feb 9, 2004 9:18 pm

I think Prafull has a good point there. Changing gears at the wrong speed (rpm) produces a knocking on the engine and can also produce strange noises from the dashboard.

On the other hand, you can safely change to 2nd gear even at very low speeds (<=20 kmph) provided you depress the gas pedal sufficiently. You can search the archive for the "thumb rule" on changing to which gear at what speed.

Joshua

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/11569 - Kamal Narayan Mishra
Thu Jan 6, 2005 4:06 pm

Dear All,

I am new to this group and was following quite a few mails since past one week.

I have some problem with my palio, first is continuous sound coming from the speaker tray whenever there is a bad patch in the road it screams even more second is again a continuous rattling noise coming from the dash board, especially when the car is in high gears at low speed and also on bad road.

When I asked atil auto at delhi, they said that they will have to open entire dash board and tighten the stereo.

This will take more than three hours the vehicle is just six months old and sound is coming from almost everywhere doors, dashboard and speaker tray somebody suggested me to shift from normal tray to wooden tray as that will be heavy and will be stable.

Any suggestions guys please I am planning for a long drive this weekend from delhi to Lucknow.

I want to get things repaired before that. Anybody facing the same problem?

Kamal
Gurgaon /Palio 1.2 EL PS Sports/F1 red/8000kms/2004

Thu Jan 6, 2005 5:01 pm

Kamal,

The parcel tray (not speaker) is rattling because you have fixed speakers in it.

The tray is very light and not supposed to handle that kind of weight.

On bad roads it will rattle. The same is the case with your head unit.

The sound is coming from the outer plastic frame of your player.

You will see that, the noise will disappear if you hold this external frame.

This is a show item and can be removed or else you can just put a folded paper or some such thing between this frame and the dashboard, as a quick fix.

If you fix the FIAT supplied music player and speakers, these issues will not arise, FYI.

Sinoj

Thu Jan 6, 2005 5:07 pm

Thanks Sinoj for your reply.

I will try to remove the outer plastic frame of the speaker but what should I do with the parcel tray yes I got it fixed from outside will I have to bear the noise till I drive this Palio or you are saying get speakers removed from the tray?

Kamal

Thu Jan 6, 2005 5:23 pm

Well, the speakers as well as the head unit, both have plastic claddings which are only for the show. If you remove those claddings, half the noise will disappear. But the tray rattling can only be solved by changing the parcel tray to a wooden/ heavy tray.

Cheers
Sinoj

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/20788 -Panaj Jain

Wed November 16, 2005 5:10 PM

I fully agree. Would be of great help, I have a dash noise in my one week old Palio and already one attempt has made without success.

Regards
Gautam

Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:22 pm

Gautam,

Even my car has developed dash noise of late, although the car has already run more than 2 years.

I thought may be some joints have come loose over time due to the bad roads in gurgaon.

On looking I found that the rattle originated from the front plate of my CD player. When I place my finger on the front plate, the rattling vanishes.

Apparently, the front plate has come loose (due to wear??). I don't know what to do to fix this rattle
permanently except may be cello-tape the front plate to the receiver; but then, I won’t be able to change the CD ;-)
So, the solution to your problem could also well be at some place other than the obvious.

Pankaj

Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:40 am

Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for the tip.

Well the noise started the minute I drove the car out of the showroom. This was before any accessories were fitted. Even the service guys have admitted to the dash noise.

Will keep you guys posted

Regards
Gautam

Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:02 pm

Guys, The noise from the dash board may be coming bacuse of the loose AC Vents. Check the right hand side AC Vent just adjacent to the steering wheel.

I figured out that some of the flaps (flaps directing the Air Flow) were loose and had come out of the socket and as a result they used to vibrate during run time.

And that creates the noise in the dash board (That’s what I felt)

Check the Rotating Wheel Like Knob which we use to turn On and Off the Air Flow in particular section. I am talking about the flaps inside the adjacent vent to this Wheel Like Knob.

Rahul

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/28063 - Ryan Almeida
Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:26 pm

I got rid of the dashboard vibrations finally yesterday.

The service center couldn’t do anything so I did it myself.

I removed the cover over the Odometer pasted some bubble wrap below it and put it back.

Now it fits nice and tight and doesn’t vibrate.

The service center gave me all kinds of excuses for why they cannot fix the noise.

I had actually started the entire exercise by trying to fix the infrared sensor (for Blaupunkt steering remote) wire properly.

It was fixed with some tape which would come off all the time . I put it through the lower steering column cover. Now no dangling wires.

Cheers
Ryan

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:38 pm

THAT’S a freaking good idea. I will try it this week end dammit I just threw out some bubble wrap

Ok, so you put some bubble wrap below and fitted it snug guess above or below doesn’t make a difference.

Cheers
Venkat

Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:28 pm

I cut strips of Bubble wrap and glued them all around the black cover with super glue. You can use a sponge also in place of Bubble wrap.

The tricky part is to remove the cover. Here is how to do it

1) Remove the right side AC vent. Just use a screwdriver on the bottom edge and pull it out. It comes out neatly.

2) Put your hand through and push the small black cover right above it (next to the Odo) it will come out too.

3) Below the cover is a screw remove that.

4) Now the rest of the fitting is on clips only

5) Start with the right side bottom and push the cover out the right side top (this one is a pretty big one) then the top of the cover. The bottom has no clips and finally the left side.

6) You might need a star shaped (not the cross ) screwdriver to unscrew the Odo in case the clips of the top of the cover fall out on the Odo .

All the best may you be successful.

Cheers
Ryan

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:54 pm

Hey Ryan,

I really admire you.

I guess this is not the first thing that you have done yourself. I remember reading about how u fixed the timing belt/black smoke problem. Its great to learn from and have hands-on guys like you in the group.

I have noticed that the mechanics in the workshop do not really understand the mechanisms involved and just follow same old steps that they have being doing.
Or may be they dont want to provide a simple solution so that they get a chance to earn more money by replacing parts.

Somehow i feel that the "bad-electricals" problem has got a simple solution, not sure.

Why don’t the guys facing this problem get their car diagnosed before they jump to some conclusions? But again, we have to depend on the workshop guys

Sachin Mule

Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:38 pm

Hi Sachin

I am able to do all this stuff because my Dad runs a workshop. So I have access to all kinds of tools much more important ones than what the service centre has.

Whenever there is an issue we put our heads together to fix it and my Dad is pretty quick at spotting problems.

Well this fix I did my self. But we have done other stuff too on my Palio. Resurfacing the Brakes (this is never done by service centres).

Have removed the complete bumper and headlights too it has been a tradition now since Uno to avoid the Service centre as much as possible and he has quite a bit of FIAT customers .

Cheers
Ryan